What's in Cheyenne?


It was a hot & windy day
Once upon a time
Grit in my shoe
Sand blasting my face
I press on & stumble
Dog is my trusty companion
100 miles to Cheyenne
You stay to watch the farm

Everybody already knew me
I didn't believe them
I don't believe them still
When they speak to me
I look around
Oh that's who they think I am

It was hot & windy
Once upon a time
Grit in my boot
Sand in my eyes
Dust in my throat
Dog knows the way home
Again I stumble & fumble

Suddenly the wind is calm
I see our cabin chimney smoking
You out front waiting & waving
Glass of water in one hand
Loaded shotgun in the other
Your smile like a bonfire 
My trans cowboy has been safe
Hot & gritty your embrace

A hot bath A hot meal
A few drinks A few puffs
Infinity are the stars
Bitter cold the turn of season 
Two quilts surround us both
3 days walk each way
Was it worth it? Hell yes
Precious cargo in the pack

Honey please-get-me list was long
Spices & used books
Postal mail from your mom
The newspaper we hate 
But love to read to each other
We seem to have everything
Costume necklace & 2 rings
For our secret entertainment 

Most important cargo of all
The delicate lingerie
To wear tonight on display 
All winter-long in this house
A home for myself & my spouse
Until spring once again
We will travel to Cheyenne.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No gay roles for actual gays

Rejects what he's looking for

Meddling mother means well