Silent Partner in my Life

Seems like forever 20 years
You've been standing by my side
We've been seen together
By thousands of people

We went to a wedding as a couple
They took pictures of us as a couple
Our love outlasted that marriage 
We were together
At a crowded benefit concert

We attended a gay rights rally together
My arch-enemy city councilor
Noticed us in the crowd
She was super nice to my boyfriend
My political heart softened
She gave us rainbow wrist bands
 
We've been on romantic holidays
Sand in our toes
Chlorine in our nose
Dancing in gay bars
Crossdressing in public
Two men crazy in love
Quite visible to the eyes
And cameras of others

We used to swim Saturday mornings
In the civic pool together
We've had lunch
In the town's busiest restaurant
We held hands across the table
Every week we see each other
At the fitness club

You like to think our love is a secret
But it's not really
My silent partner is plain to see
Almost everywhere
Almost always
To me You're almost everything

When I reported on General MacArthur
You were in the museum
A photo essay
But the ones of You are kept private
In a recent poem I said
You & Me & Love Persevere
Why didn't I say Our Love Perseveres?
Because I'm not a communist
Like MacArthur refused to change
"I Shall Return" to "We" Shall Return
The love part covers the us part

Almost every time I was news blogging
As I hit the Send button
At my door you were knocking
You listened to my radio interviews
Almost every picture I've posted
You were just out of camera shot
Peaceful on my mind
Steady love Steady hand

When I moved into my van
You helped me & stood by me
We made love more than ever before
During those three years
When I needed money
You gave it to me
When the pandemic left you high & dry
I gave you money & food

When prostate cancer struck me down
You stood by me
You wanted to drive me to surgery
But I denied You that
A friend took me
Even as I have erectile dysfunction
You are standing with me

I can't imagine life without You
As we discuss everything important
You give me wise advice
You calm down my spirit
You ask me to stay & stand by your side

Together with my silent partner
Silent but not unseen
Source of my happiness & inspiration
Creativity & dedication

Silent Partner in my Life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boy did I get laid Columbus Ga

We won't be a secret anymore

With All My Might