I Hear your Tears through the Years


I could hear your tears
Over the phone 500 miles away
I could see only sadness
When I said
I don't love you anymore
Our future is in the past
I still hear your tears
After all these years 

That was the final goodbye
The last breakup has lasted
You know I tried for a long time
Distance made us grow distant
Pride made us both stubborn

Breaking your heart broke my heart
I cried too when we hung up
For two years I gave you my life
We lived together in a love bubble 
In your apartment & then mine 
Can you hear me now
Choking on tears of regret?

I haven't gotten over you
I lied when I said
I don't love you anymore
How many of these poems
Have I written to you
On the down low?

How many tears can you hear
In my literary voice?
Tears of regret I can't forget you
I don't want to
Thanks for the love you send me
Now 500 light years away 

I can hear you choke on tears
When I said
I don't love you anymore
Can you hear my tears of regret?
For lying to you
It broke my heart too
I thought I was protecting you 

Tonight I can hear your tears
Like I just hung up the phone
Did you get the postcard
I sent a few years later?
I felt bad for making you cry 
Can you feel my tears?
Wherever you are

I still hear your tears on the phone 
Through time & distance 
It broke my heart when I lied & said 
I don't love you
Because you know I truly do
I wish I could hold you again
For a moment 
And dry your eyes with a kiss

My new boyfriend would be jealous
Rightly & Proudly so
He benefits from the lessons
I learned with you

Still I can hear your tears
After all these years 
Do you forgive me?
For breaking your heart
Wherever you are

Can you hear my heartache tonight?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boy did I get laid Columbus Ga

We won't be a secret anymore

With All My Might