Alexander & Aimé Explore South America 1799



(This video is a replacement for the Get.Factual documentary reviewed below, which has become unavailable.)

Alexander Humboldt changed how we think about nature. And he was gay.

In 1799, in the first year of a 5-year expedition to study South America, the 30-year-old rich bachelor Alexander von Humboldt arrived in the modern capital of Ecuador. 

The governor's daughter tried to catch his fancy. But Humboldt "preferred the company of her brother" Carlos Montufar, who joined Humboldt and his French male companion Aimé Bonpland for the remainder of the expedition. 

Humboldt had "intense" relationships with men throughout his life. (Video minute 29:00 to 31:00.)

Born in 1769, he died at age 89. He wrote some 50 books and 700 papers. He visited Jefferson in the White House in 1804. Jefferson copied Humboldt's newly created detailed map of Mexico while Lewis & Clark were exploring the Louisiana Purchase. 

Statues of Humboldt appear in South America. Many places worldwide are named for Humboldt.

I watched the video again, this time with my boyfriend. It's the most romantic documentary I've ever seen. Hot to see Humboldt and Bonpland, the silent partner, share the challenges side by side throughout the documentary. 

I kept imagining my boyfriend & myself in their shoes. Watching together is a romantic memory for us both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boy did I get laid Columbus Ga

We won't be a secret anymore

With All My Might